[Homeroast] [homeroast] Improper speeds through and after 1st crack

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 13:52:24 CDT 2010

I think a lot of what you may see depends on where your probe is, and how
fast it responds. If your probe is deep in the bean mass, seeing a stall in
your temp. rise may be worse than if you are measuring more of your ET.

I don't have much experience with detailed temperature monitoring, but I
would expect a slowdown in your ramp rate during the endothermic phases,
since the beans will be taking in energy.  I'd be curious of the effects of
adjusting for this, or letting the roast ride through these phases.

I agree with Allon, that no matter what kind of roaster you are using, you
do have a significant amount of thermal mass in your beans.

--mike