[Homeroast] Color match x Pantone

Rich rich-mail at octoxol.com
Sun Jun 27 10:49:52 CDT 2010

You have to make the connection to outer bean color to ground coffee
color for each different bean you roast.  You will find the ground
coffee color that produces a reliable coffee that meets your tastes.
You can buy Munsell color chip books to match colors but if you read the
packaged instructions with the Munsell books you will find that they
have a definite service life, a use by date if you will.  After ignoring
the differences in each bean and the mass of the roast you have to deal
with the rate of change in heat addition to the roasting system and the
resultant ground coffee color vs. taste in the cup as you have prepared
it with your local water.  Many, many variables to pin down.  We had a
descriptive term for these exercises back at the power plant but its not
real family friendly, IYKWIM.

If you go spring for a real commercial roaster you can make coffee bean
roasting a science to some extent but using a popcorn popper to roast
coffee is going to be an art.

As long as you are dealing with the same beans from the same bag and the
same weight of each roast you can just match the resultant ground coffee
color as long as you do not change the grinder setting and achieve
reasonable consistent results.  Compare the last batch to the new batch.
  Use the same background and the same light source, tungsten light bulb
works but florescent does not.