[Homeroast] Bulk Grinder for Drip

michael brown disracer at msn.com
Sun Jun 27 10:14:23 CDT 2010

I bought a G1 for flavored coffee and G3 for regular grinding at the shop via ebay.  G1 has done fine.  The G3 was a nightmare.  The gear/grind setting shaft was rusted all the way through...no matter how you rotated the knob it spit out the same grind.  Took lots of work and lots of muscles to free it up and it works fine now.  That's just a little side story, lesson learned...probably won't go through ebay again for equipment such as that.  That's just me.  Use your own discretion.  There were several emails sent back and forth before the purchase between me and the seller.  Thought i had asked all the appropriate questions to assure i was getting a good deal.
To your point, here's what i have and am fairly happy with...At the shop my G3 works for grinding customer's coffee as well as grinding for my chemex, CCD, and regular ole pot o' coffee when i'm feeling lazy.  I have a super jolly as well for my espresso.At home i have a virtuoso, calibrated to grind finer that the factory settings so i can pull shots with it.  I'm kind of ho-hum on the virtuoso these days.  I think it is a good machine for the price and at home i use it for espresso, chemex, and CCD as well.  I'm kind of looking at the virtuoso as a good starter grinder these days...got the itch to upgrade.
Hope this helps,
Michael Bb'ham, AL