[Homeroast] [homeroast] Improper speeds through and after 1st crack

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 09:12:02 CDT 2010

I've always accepted the bromide that a roast can stall.  Like any chemical
reaction, more is going on than just elevating the temperature of the bean.
What is a stall? Additional heat causes a larger portion of the bean mass to
enter an endothermic reaction

Take the analogy of logs in a camp fire. The fire could be considered
"stalled" at the start because a single match won't ignite the fire and
generate heat. Unless they're Gas Logs.

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Edward Bourgeois <edbourgeois at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've been using a bean temp. roast speedometer that a fellow
> homeroaster built. I can now closely monitor my BT degrees rise/min. I
> really like having this ability to closely monitor the roast and make
> quick adjustments. Generally I've used the approach that if I intend
> to stop the roast at a light level (C or C+) I will go slower through
> and after 1st and faster for full city and beyond. What do others
> consider too slow (degrees rise/min.) and for what period time during
> any of these points that could cause stalling or baked effects to the
> finished roast? I generally try to stay at least 5 degrees rise/min on
> lighter and closer to 10 on full city or darker. Also slightly longer
> in general for espresso and shorter for brewed. If say the roast
> slowed to 2-3 degrees rise/min for 30sec. to a min. during 1st. could
> negative results occur?
>
> --
> Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
> Amherst MA.
> http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/

Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...