[Homeroast] [homeroast] Improper speeds through and after 1st crack

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Sat Jun 26 15:45:29 CDT 2010

On Jun 25, 2010, at 7:14 PM, Edward Bourgeois <edbourgeois at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I should have qualified that my hybrid roaster doesn't work on stored
> energy so small tweaks can be done quite quickly and smoothly. I can
> change my ET during and after 1st crack a few degrees and change the
> degrees rise/min. also by a few degrees to match my preplanned time
> and finish temp./look. On a roast I want to end say approx. 5 degrees
> after 1st crack  I can either extend the length of first by going
> slower just into and during or go a little faster into first and slow
> more towards the end. Each resulting in the same total time.

Sure, but my question is, is it desirable to obliterate the bumps by
torching the roast through that phase of the roast?

And, like it or not, any roast has stored energy in the beans. I use a
heat gun and a thin metal bowl. The beans are the thermal mass in my
roaster. And they do not behave linearly. The non-linear behavior is
why I question using a simple risetime over the whole roast.
-
allon