[Homeroast] Sucky decaf

Michael Dhabolt michael.dhabolt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 15:11:23 CDT 2010

I fully concur with Edwards appraisal of the subject:

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Edward Bourgeois
<edbourgeois at gmail.com> wrote:

> With a little patience a nice used 15 or 22amp. US made Staco variac
> can be had on ebay for $60-$125.(I've bought several for less than
> $100.in great condition) It will last for many years and maintain it's
> original value and be very dependable. Just about all the China ones
> I've heard roasters get have since met an early death. There will be
> no voltage loss as will happen with a dimmer and can be used to
> slightly boost if needed. Small ones to drive a fan can be had for
> real cheap.

There have been multiple threads on this list in the past concerning
duty cycle of reputable US built, brand name variacs, I believe miKe
mcKoffee wrote the seminal piece on the subject.  I believe the
consensus has been that non-24-7 use in a
non-heat-dissipation-challenged environment allows safe use of variacs
rated somewhat below the actual current draw.  I've used a variac
rated at 12 Amps for 15 Amp loads for several hours at a time many
times with no discernible heat build up, I've used it for years and it
is still kicking.

Small variacs wired for voltage increase in the fan circuit provides
approx. 138 Volts and substantially increases the green bean load
capability of a P1 (chimney mandatory at this load).

If anyone tries the router speed control course of action, I'd
certainly hope they would post their results.

Mike (just plain)