[Homeroast] Sucky decaf

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 14:33:14 CDT 2010

With a little patience a nice used 15 or 22amp. US made Staco variac
can be had on ebay for $60-$125.(I've bought several for less than
$100.in great condition) It will last for many years and maintain it's
original value and be very dependable. Just about all the China ones
I've heard roasters get have since met an early death. There will be
no voltage loss as will happen with a dimmer and can be used to
slightly boost if needed. Small ones to drive a fan can be had for
real cheap.

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Michael Dhabolt
<michael.dhabolt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I've read reports of folks being successful with this approach.  I
> personally haven't tried it, I try to not make recommendations that I
> haven't accomplished myself.  Certainly sounds like a do-able thing, and the
> difference in cost would dictate it, if it works OK.
>
> Caveat: I would question the ability of a 1000 watt speed control having a
> long life span if controlling a 1400ish watt heater circuit, although I see
> some of these things (Harbor Freight) advertising as being capable of
> dealing with up to a 15 Amp load, 3ish Amps more than a P1 heater circuit.
> These things are sold for controlling motors which involves both resistive
> and inductive loads, back EMF etc. and the subject is considerably beyond
> the focus of this conversation.  I've always had a somewhat less than high
> level of confidence in Chinese ratings of equipment power handling
> capability and duty cycle ratings.
>
> I've seen folks use these things long term, successfully, for fan speed
> control although it doesn't allow speeding the fan up as you can do with a
> variac wired to increase voltage.  The load from a P1 fan is in the 100 Watt
> range.
>
> Mike (just plain)

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.