[Homeroast] Color match x Pantone

silas coelho silascoelho1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 22:02:15 CDT 2010

I know, I know, this topic is an old friend from our SM list, but maybe a
new approach.

I ordered few days ago some coffees, and asked Maria if she could send the
Color Roast Post Card. Maria told me that they decide to 'phase out ' the
card because the issues with the reproducibility (aging) of the card, and
they are investigating reliable alternatives to the old post cards.

I have access to same Pantone books (Color Classification System) , and
wondering how to find a proper way to match City, City +, Full City, to
their equivalent Pantone Numbers.

The closest that I got (So far), is:

City + closer to 462 C or 1545 U (Coated Color)

On the Pantone web page, we can find a 'screen representation of the colors,
and their light and darker equivalents (Paint Interior Matching guide, use
the color 462 C on the Pantone Number box), unfortunately the 'screen
representation' is not accurate at all (the paper chips are much, much
better)

One idea will be to order the specific 'chips page' with the  color that we
want to match, I still need to match the other key Roasting colors, and then
get the full equivalent list roasting nomenclature x Pantone Name x Agtron
#. (I just hope that when I have all these matches, they will be inside a
single Pantone chips page)

Each 'chips page' from Pantone book cost (at the website) US$ 7.50, that is
not that bad (ok, ok, I know 1 lb of coffee, that we will not drink!)

Any experience from the list on this approach?

Regards
Silas

Contritionem praecedit superbia,
et ante ruinam exaltatio spiritus (Prov 16:18)

http://silasmcoelho.com/