[Homeroast] [homeroast] Improper speeds through and after 1st crack

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 20:14:22 CDT 2010

I should have qualified that my hybrid roaster doesn't work on stored
energy so small tweaks can be done quite quickly and smoothly. I can
change my ET during and after 1st crack a few degrees and change the
degrees rise/min. also by a few degrees to match my preplanned time
and finish temp./look. On a roast I want to end say approx. 5 degrees
after 1st crack  I can either extend the length of first by going
slower just into and during or go a little faster into first and slow
more towards the end. Each resulting in the same total time.

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Allon Stern <allon at radioactive.org> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2010, at 2:43 PM, Edward Bourgeois <edbourgeois at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If say the roast
>> slowed to 2-3 degrees rise/min for 30sec. to a min. during 1st. could
>> negative results occur?
>
> I think it depends where in the roast you are. How can you achieve a solid
> climb? Aren't there bumps during which transformations take place, consuming
> the energy being put in; you'll see a pause in the climb, then a
> continuation. If you try to compensate, is that good or bad? I don't know.
> I'm of the opinion that I shouldn't compensate and goose the heat. I just
> let the energy build, and know that if I try to climb at that point, the
> rate of climb will be racing on the other side of the bump, and it is very
> hard to put on the brakes. I think that as long as no backsliding occurs,
> then you're ok.
> (barring extreme pauses, leading to baking)
> -
> allon

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.