[Homeroast] [homeroast] Improper speeds through and after 1st crack

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Fri Jun 25 18:30:23 CDT 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 2:43 PM, Edward Bourgeois <edbourgeois at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If say the roast
> slowed to 2-3 degrees rise/min for 30sec. to a min. during 1st. could
> negative results occur?

I think it depends where in the roast you are. How can you achieve a
solid climb? Aren't there bumps during which transformations take
place, consuming the energy being put in; you'll see a pause in the
climb, then a continuation. If you try to compensate, is that good or
bad? I don't know. I'm of the opinion that I shouldn't compensate and
goose the heat. I just let the energy build, and know that if I try to
climb at that point, the rate of climb will be racing on the other
side of the bump, and it is very hard to put on the brakes. I think
that as long as no backsliding occurs, then you're ok.
(barring extreme pauses, leading to baking)
-
allon