[Homeroast] Sucky decaf

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 14:46:39 CDT 2010

One thing I've thought happens is the beans have been comprised by the
decaf process and are more vulnerable to high heat. With high heat the
oils are more easily drawn to the surface where oxygen can also
replace the co2. After roasting you can see the oils slowly absorb
back into the beans. This may produce the  tangyness you detect. You
need to try to slow the roast (lower temp.) and treat the beans more
gently. Of course this is tricky with an unmodified popper.

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Lynne <lynnebiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg -
>
> I think that's it (others w/experience w/both decafs and popperies can chime
> in). I've also had lots of sucky decafs in the past. I roast stove-top, and
> I improved my roasts when I made sure to extend the time. I found it tricky
> at first - I was afraid of baking the beans, but it got to a point where it
> didn't matter. Can't describe what mine ended up tasting like, (funky &
> unpleasant comes to mind).
>
> I remember some people mentioning that they used an extension cord that
> helped w/extending the roast. I'm sure others will have suggestions. I aim
> for at least 12 minutes for all my roasts (decafs can overroast easier, too)
> - 14 is usually better for decaf. I only go as far as the end of first
> crack, as I hate dark roasts.
>
> Lynne
>

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Greg Knepp <response at kneppfamily.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've been roasting for about 2.5 years with a Poppery.
>>
>> For some time now, I've noticed that all of my decaf roasts have an
>> unpleasant tangy flavor to them, which overwhelms any other flavors in the
>> coffee. It makes all decaf regardless of origin or roasting time taste the
>> same; basically bad. If I significantly over-roast them, I can get them to
>> taste burnt instead of just bad. :-)
>>
>> Caffeinated beans come out great at a variety roast levels.
>>
>> After the first batch, the poppery roasts everything fast - probably 4-5
>> minutes to city or city+. I'm thinking maybe this has something to do with
>> my results.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Greg