[Homeroast] Sucky decaf

Lynne lynnebiz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 13:48:07 CDT 2010

Hi Greg -

I think that's it (others w/experience w/both decafs and popperies can chime
in). I've also had lots of sucky decafs in the past. I roast stove-top, and
I improved my roasts when I made sure to extend the time. I found it tricky
at first - I was afraid of baking the beans, but it got to a point where it
didn't matter. Can't describe what mine ended up tasting like, (funky &
unpleasant comes to mind).

I remember some people mentioning that they used an extension cord that
helped w/extending the roast. I'm sure others will have suggestions. I aim
for at least 12 minutes for all my roasts (decafs can overroast easier, too)
- 14 is usually better for decaf. I only go as far as the end of first
crack, as I hate dark roasts.

Lynne