[Homeroast] Sucky decaf

Greg Knepp response at kneppfamily.com
Fri Jun 25 13:11:09 CDT 2010

Hi Folks,

I've been roasting for about 2.5 years with a Poppery.

For some time now, I've noticed that all of my decaf roasts have an
unpleasant tangy flavor to them, which overwhelms any other flavors in
the coffee. It makes all decaf regardless of origin or roasting time
taste the same; basically bad. If I significantly over-roast them, I can
get them to taste burnt instead of just bad. :-)

Caffeinated beans come out great at a variety roast levels.

After the first batch, the poppery roasts everything fast - probably 4-5
minutes to city or city+. I'm thinking maybe this has something to do
with my results.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg