[Homeroast] hmmm, another coffee scam???

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 16:31:11 CDT 2010

Ed,

I was listening to the Physics and chemistry of roasting lecture I
downloaded to my MP3 player from the SCAA library, a talk given by Stanley
Segall at the 2001 conference, and he mentioned in the talk that the
percentage of anti-oxidants in coffee or black tea is insignificant compared
to orange juice.

I thought let me see if I can find any antioxidant activity in coffee and so
> I ran some analysis.
> Vitamin C is the greatest antioxidant activity you can get. I found that
> coffee does have some antioxidant activity, much less than black tea and
> much less than green tea. How much less? Coffee is under two percent of the
> antioxidant activity of Vitamin C. I wouldn’t go running around yelling
> hurray for that, but for that matter I wouldn’t run around yelling hurray
> for black tea either. If I’m going to get my Vitamin C I’m going to drink
> orange juice, I’m not going to drink green tea. The other thing you have to
> keep in mind when you measure something like this is that you’re measuring
> antioxidant activity in a test tube. No one has yet to show me that these
> methods of measuring antioxidant activity in glass test tubes is necessarily
> related to antioxidant activity once it gets inside your body. But, enormous
> claims are being made for it and I would just simply say be cautious.

Here's a link to the transcript:
http://slk020.liberty3.net/SCAA/blobs/cfiles/2005%5C01%5CSCAACONF_TRANS_2001_Segall.pdf

Also, if they're roasting at a much healthier temp, they're probably baking
the beans.  Does the ground coffee look the same color as the roasted
coffee?

Finally, I ran across an article on roasting nuts when I was researching
staling in coffee that suggested that double roasting nuts at lower
temperatures can increase the shelf life and reduce staling, but it didn't
look like it would really apply to coffee.

-Chris