[Homeroast] Updated Behmor Chaff Collector

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 13:23:07 CDT 2010

I've got the old chaff tray and I used to pre-roast the beans for two
minutes to extend the available roasting time and push out the P2 drop, but
have switched to pre-heating the Behmor with the old chaff tray in for one
minute to bring everything up to temp before putting in the drum with the
beans.

My thinking on this is that this will help normalize my roasts between
summer and winter, as I would get quite a variation in roasts when looking
at roasts of the same bean done six months ago.  I think that pre-heating
the Behmor and Chaff Tray is helping.

I'm sure that airflow / convection current patterns also play a large part.
I used to measure temperatures at the ceiling of the Behmor and would
measure wide temp variations when the fans / afterburner kicked in.  I
switched to measuring the temps just below the bottom heating element to get
a better feel for the heat output.

-Chris