[Homeroast] Trouble roasting today...

Rich rich-mail at octoxol.com
Mon Jun 14 09:06:33 CDT 2010

Silicone and nylon are fine.  Plain petroleum is OK.  PAO synthetic is
probably the best for a high temperature application though.  Some of
the possible additives/thickeners in some greases will cause nylon to
fail over a fairly long time period. Remember the Chevy nylon timing
gear?  Hot engine oil is hard on nylon.

The gear shafts in the motor gearbox are running in the base metal of
the gearbox.  The original design has the output drive coupling tightly
attached to the output gear shaft.  The weight of the drum is supported
on this bearing surface.  The revised design has the output coupling
loosely pinned to this shaft. The drum coupling is now partially
supported by the cavity wall seal.  This has the benefit of reducing the
axial load on the gearbox output shaft. It is possible that with this
present design additional lubricant may not be required.