[Homeroast] Trouble roasting today...

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon Jun 14 08:30:23 CDT 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:07 AM, Phil Palmintere wrote:

> I just checked... you're right; the typical operating temperature of most
> modern CPUs is quite a bit lower than the 500-ish degrees of a roaster.

Once upon a time, I attempted to build a "PC-BAKE" oven, using the power from 4 pentiums to bake a cake.
Sadly, it was a failure; if I'd had more time than the weekend build (at a conference), I might have overcome some issues.
(just a clock wasn't enough; I would have had to provide the CPUs with an instruction stream to really draw the power)

Anyway, my typical high-temperature grease is a prized jar of high temperature silicone vacuum grease. A teeny bit goes a long way; it is tenacious stuff, and will not outgas any nasty volatiles (being made for vacuum work).

Don't think it's particularly food-safe, though, but for a gear-train that doesn't contact food, it would be okay. Dunno about the nylon vs. silicone concept. Any references to back up the assertion that it will damage them?
-
allon