[Homeroast] Trouble roasting today...

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Sat Jun 12 02:40:34 CDT 2010

Boy did I have trouble today - got sidetracked while roasting a small
batch in the Behmor and went to 5th crack, filled the whole place
with smoke. Well, we know exactly what the problem is in this
scenario.

I am not sure of the problem youa re having but maybe someone else
can help. I have ever seen ERR6 personally. Joe is on a much needed
vacation with his wife, but I think he will have someone answering
emails. Probably not on a Saturday though - best bet is the list here
and the forum.
Tom

>This afternoon I started roasting 300g of Tom's Espresso workshop #9 blend
>in my Behmor. I know it takes about 16 minutes to do a 300g batch. 5 minutes
>into the roast I decided to make a quick pitstop, after all it was too early
>to worry about a runaway roast or a fire... When I got back the roaster had
>stopped. Uh-oh must have popped a breaker. No that wasn't it, the roaster
>was showing Err6. OK, now what??? Unplug and try again. Nope no good, now I
>have Err1. Apparently after the Err6 I should have just quit right there:(
>I went to the Behmor website, and filled out their customer service form. So
>far no word back, but it's only been a few hours on a Friday afternoon.
>So what to do with the partially roasted beans... I decided to try a wok
>roast. I went looking for our wok, and the only wok-shaped pan I could find
>is non-stick. Better not use that. I settled on a small heavy aluminum
>skillet. I got out my bean chiller, which I haven't used in a couple years,
>put the pan on the stove and went to work. I lost a couple beans over the
>edge of the pan, it really was too small, but eventually ended up with a
>very melange looking but acceptable roast somewhere around a Full City + ( a
>few snaps into 2nd) I haven't brewed any yet, and while I don't expect too
>much from this roast, I think I've got a shot at it making a "not bad" cup.
>I decided that next time I'd try a whirly popper. So tonight I did 300g
>batch of Nicaragua Finca San Jose in that. It hit first crack at about 11
>minutes, and finished at about 14 with a nice looking city + roast. I'm
>looking forward to this one:)
>I'm certainly gonna miss the Behmor, but I guess I'll be able to survive
>until its fixed.
>Dave
>
>Some days...
>It's just not worth chewing through the leather straps

-Tom