[Homeroast] Roasting WP Decafs

Michael espressoperson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 10:12:55 CDT 2010

Gary,

My observations only:

1. Decaf ages more quickly than reg coffee so the premature oil could
be a sign of staleness. Proper storage and timely usage can help
reduce the likelihood of this happening.
2. Decaf is more likely to run away after 1st crack and approaches 2nd
more quickly than reg coffees. Thus maybe harder to stop at FC or FC+
without overshooting and forcing oil to the surface.
3. Decaf hits its cracks at lower temp than reg so again easy to overdo.

I roast about 2 lbs coffee per week in my hottop, 3 half lb batches of
reg and 1 half lb batch of decaf. I always roast the decaf last
because I find the later roasts are easier to control and profile than
the earlier roasts, so I can usually tame a decaf, extend the roast
past 1st crack a couple of minutes, and be able to stop at C+ or even
darker without oil appearing. In any case, after 2 or 3 days, oil is
likely to appear anyway. Decaf is definitely compromised by the
caffeine removal process, but with care and effort, your results can
be improved.