[Homeroast] OT: RE: Hot solder and RayO's kits

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 15:00:00 CDT 2010

Ok, I am supposed to announce that this is off topic. But I can't help it. EE was a childhood hobby that brings back a lot of really good memories!!! I used to love to build little FM transmitters and mess with my neighbours while they listened to their radios.

"That kit lived nearly 20 years before I had to abandon it and Heathkit disappeared."

Are you sure they disappeared?

http://www.heathkit.com/

Is this the same company? This looks like the stuff I used to order out of the Edmund Scientific cataloug as a kid, only on some kind of crazy sterioids (Damn, I miss those days- being a childhood nerd was great!!!!  ....of course as an adult I have access to a Transmission electron microscope, an atomic force microscope, a mass spectrometer, and have worked on the LHC at CERN. I suppose being an adult nerd isn't too bad either! )

Ok, back to disappearing. Last exam tomorrow!

P.S. Since nerdiness is on my mind, has anyone seen the 80's movie "Real Genius"? It stars Val Kilmer and that one kid that was in a lot of 80's movies but I forgot his name. Its about a bunch of engineers running around. If you haven't I suggest you put it in your netflix queue.
--
Ryan M. Ward

http://www.ubuntu.com