[Homeroast] Vac. pot seal breaking problem

John Borella jborella at ct.metrocast.net
Sun Jun 6 07:44:45 CDT 2010

The upper globe should be sitting (tipped to the side) in your lower globe
preheating while you wait for the water to start to boil. This way the chain
is always in the lower globe when you have the burner on. As soon as you see
bubbles lock the upper globe in place & when the water starts to fill the
upper globe reduce the heat to prevent a rapid bubbling/excessively high
water temp in the upper globe.

 Once I see the water rising above the cloth filter I turn the butane burner
down until it spudders & then back up just enough to keep the bubbles rising
up the tube. This gives me an initial water temp around 201* up top which
quickly settles into the 199-200* range where I add my grounds.

 The vac pot is not a modern kitchen appliance designed by lawyers. It is a
hands on old time brewing device that requires the user to exercise common
sense. The glass is clear so there is no need to peer into the top until you
are stirring in your grounds. Here is a link to the Itelli video:
http://vimeo.com/8977253

John B.