[Homeroast] Travelling Faux pas

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 00:16:07 CDT 2010

Congrats on the anniversary, sorry to hear about the coffee disaster.

I was forced into something I was hoping to avoid this morning, drinking
office coffee at my new place of work.  I've been making morning Chemex (and
loving it) and bringing in a thermos, but the Wife and kids have been sick
and my wife had a hard time sleeping last night which lead to me having a
hard time sleeping, so when I finally got to sleep on the couch I overslept
and didn't have time to make any coffee this morning before taking my oldest
to school.

The coffee at work is an old coffee maker with glass pots and three pot
warmers, there's two orange rimmed pots and one brown.  I cleaned it up as
best as possible, and the spray head and whole area above the filter holder
was coated in black coffee grounds powder and oily sludge so much it looked
like it'd never been cleaned.  After cleaning it up, I put four and a half
ounces of coffee grounds (one and a half packs) of generic looking coffee in
the filter and pressed the brew button... it filled maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the
pot and then dripped to a stop.  Hit the button again and then poured myself
a cup.

I was surprised to admit that it wasn't the worst cup I've ever had, but I
didn't have another.  Had lunch with the co-workers at a greasy spoon /
hole-in-the-wall and they had a Costco brand cold coffee / mocha drink, I
passed and had a diet Snapple.  Damn, and I'd pretty much decided not to
bring in an AeroPress. Whirly Blade, and home roast to work because I didn't
want to appear to be fussy at the new job, but this is really depressing.

Now it's 10 pm and kids are fed and in bed, dishes loaded into the
dishwasher, and I'm wondering if it's too late for a cup of coffee or an
espresso, something good.

-Chris