[Homeroast] BBQ drum roasting

kevin creason ckevinj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 09:03:42 CDT 2010

I use an old Fiesta two burner grill with replacement after-market generic
burners and on propane still. They are wide burners and it sits directly
under the drum with a two inch air gap.
I have no heat reflectors. I began my grilling careear using little heat
rocks and reflectors but stopped using them when I noticed they inhibited
airflow and we would get bad tasting meat-- it would have a chemically taste
that I attributed to improperly combusted propane.

I am able to do four pounds in 15-17 minutes as my dedicated coffee roaster.
The heat is close enough for good heat application to the drum but not so
close as to scorch the beans. IIRC I bent the legs for the burners so that
it sat a little lower. But I would not close off the air holes underneath as
it needs to draw air in for proper combustion. If you are worried about
reflecting heat back in mount the reflector on top to trap the heat in. Heat
naturally wants to move upward and escape that direction. I may use more gas
in the process but I don't think it's that much more.

This is my opinion, and it's working good for me! But opinions are like arm
pits: every one has two and they all stink.

-Kevin
/*“ I am looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know
what can't be done. ” -- Henry Ford  */