[Homeroast] Vintage coffee ad

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Thu Jul 29 22:32:28 CDT 2010

There was also "POW--right in the kisser."  The episodes always ended with Ralph telling Alice, "Baby, you're the greatest!"  We gave it no mind back in the Fifties (since Ralph never followed through), but in retrospect it seems distressingly similar to battered women's rationalizations for not pressing charges or leaving ("He really loves me" or "he didn't mean it, and he promises he won't do it again").  Both men and women (and law enforcement) have evolved since then.
On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:27 PM, John A C Despres wrote:

> This type of ad from Chase & Sanborn began in the depression which provides
> alarming evidence that wife battering was the stuff of comedy during the
> depression - especially if the husband didn't like his coffee. And it
> continued... "To the moon, Alice, to the moon!" merely hints at it, but it
> was and still is considered funny.

Peace & song,
Sandy
www.sandyandina.com