[Homeroast] recognizing quakers?

John A C Despres johndespres at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 18:40:14 CDT 2010

Hi, Joe, and welcome to home roasting.

I don't typically cull my roasts after roasting. However, if I notice gray
beans, I do toss those out. For the most part, Sweet Maria's beans are
pretty darn defect free, so don't sweat it too much.

Now then, your roasts from Ethiopia will tend to be a little more uneven, or
any dry process beans for that matter, I think... Yemen beans may look a
little rangy, but enjoy them as is.

My little poem to help me - "If they're gray, throw 'em away. If their
brown, drink 'em down". Too much culling will change the characteristics of
that particular bean in the cup.

If you're roasting beans from Sweet Maria's, roast & drink. If your beans
are from elsewhere, you may need to do more pre-roast culling of defects as
the quality may not be as high.

Once you're coffee is roasted and you see something suspicious, eat the bean
and pay attention to the color. Very light brown will probably be bitter,
gray could very well be sour and other slighter darker beans could be sweet
and fruity. Learn the colors associated with the flavors and you'll decide
which to keep after a while.

My 2 cents worth.

Mostly have fun and keep the questions coming..

John