[Homeroast] recognizing quakers?

Joe charliebrown at nc.rr.com
Wed Jul 21 16:44:45 CDT 2010

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the coffee roasting myself and so far am really
enjoying learning all about the bean and the process of roasting. I'm
curious though about one thing I see mentioned on the SM site
frequently. What exactly are quakers (and the other beans one is
supposed to remove) and how does one identify them? I looked at the
glossary on the SM site and it wasn't much help to me. I can spot ones
that have a little bit of the bean missing, which I'm guessing might be
bites and can also spot a few that aren't quite as roasted as others.
Since I'm using a poppery and teaching myself how to make an even roast,
I'm encountering quite a few that aren't as roasted so I've been
hesitant on discarding them. Any pointers on how to identify which
should be removed would be greatly appreciated.

Have A Great Day,
Joe