[Homeroast] what exactly are "quakers"?

Joe charliebrown at nc.rr.com
Wed Jul 21 09:43:00 CDT 2010

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the coffee roasting myself and so far am really
enjoying learning all about the bean and the process of roasting. I'm
curious though about one thing I see mentioned on the SM site
frequently. What exactly are quakers (and the other ones supposed to
remove) and how does one identify them? I looked at the glossary on the
SM site and it wasn't much help to me. I can spot ones that have a
little bit of the bean missing, which I'm guessing might be bites and
can also spot a few that aren't quite as roasted as others. Since I'm
using a poppery and teaching myself how to make an even roast, I'm
encountering quite a few that aren't as roasted so I've been hesitant on
discarding them. Any pointers on how to identify which should be removed
would be greatly appreciated.

Have A Great Day,
Joe