[Homeroast] GMO Coffee

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 23:11:02 CDT 2010

My concern was GMO getting into our cherished coffee varietals. In the
low lands I imagine a possible mess.  Farming works best when it can
be fit naturally into an environment without disruption. I think some
of the farmers Tom visits have some good simple stewardship going on
and it shows in the cup. Soil hates plows. It's a micro massacre.
Exposing soil is not a natural occurrence.  Plowed fields are a
environmental disaster IMO. It does like some aeration that worms,
cloven hoofs etc. normally accomplish naturally. The life and organic
matter at the surface can process needed nutrients from the soil if
not disturbed. A farmer can increase it's capacity by organically
feeding this surface system. We generally plow and just add tons of
oil and gas based crap or at best extra amounts of organic additives.
Perennial food plants like coffee work well because it keeps a root
structure in the soil year round.. Perennial grasses with good roots
are friendly with many soils and when grazing is managed similar to
how a prairie sustained.  There are a number of perennial varietals of
field crops what we generally plant as an annual  type. These are
being bred and selected to make more viable. These may be super tasty
also. We spent way too much time, effort and added crap going in the
wrong direction. Like the old commercial, .It's not nice to fool
mother nature