[Homeroast] GMO Coffee

Lynne lynnebiz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 16:41:16 CDT 2010

Kirk -

Here is a snip from an article about what has happened in India. This is not
merely a
small problem - it's the livelihood and subsequent lives of real people.
There have been
so many suicides that they dubbed the area "suicide alley."  More than
100,000 farmers
have committed suicide.

When crops failed in the past, farmers could still save seeds and replant
> them the following year.

But with GM seeds they cannot do this. That's because GM seeds contain so-
> called 'terminator technology', meaning that they have been genetically
> modified so that the resulting crops do not produce viable seeds of their
> own.

As a result, farmers have to buy new seeds each year at the same punitive
> prices. For some, that means the difference between life and death.

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1082559/The-GM-genocide-Thousands-Indian-farmers-committing-suicide-using-genetically-modified-crops.html#ixzz0uGAaQAj0

I don't mean to insult the intentions of scientists working in the field,
but one has to look at
the whole picture.

The unintentional consequences are bad enough - the intended ones (esp. the
fact that the
seeds cannot be reproduced - if, by chance, they DO pollinate with other
seeds that the farmer
has, they must pay Monsanto), by the companies who are financing this work,
is horrid.

If patented genes are outcrossed, even accidentally, to other commercial
> fields and a person deliberately selects the outcrossed plants for
> subsequent planting then the patent holder has the right to control the use
> of those crops. This was supported in Canadian law<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_law>in the case of
> *Monsanto* Canada Inc. v. Schmeiser<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Canada_Inc._v._Schmeiser>
> .

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism