[Homeroast] GMO Coffee

JanoMac janomac at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 16:07:14 CDT 2010

I hate to add to this thread, but my "Pseudoscience" button was finally
pushed:

...and before I'd EVER believe the likes of Jeffrey Smith with respect to my
coffee sources or safety, I'd like for him to answer to simple peer review
regarding his "studies" on GM foods and GMO safety as reported in his two
self-published books. No one in my field could get away with making such
un-cited claims, nor in reporting studies with so few test subjects
(c'mon...8 hamsters?! Really?). Biologists I have worked with wouldn't be
laughed out of the journal, they'd be removed from our research positions,
if not the entire institution.

Check here for some details that Smith has not, and apparently will not
respond to:
http://academicsreview.org/reviewed-individuals/jeffrey-smith/

I will agree that there are *some* people working ONLY for the bottom line
and are using unethical means to makes lots of money for themselves and
shareholders, but I refuse to paint ALL agribusiness and every person
working for chemical companies with the same broad poisonous brush as Smith.
There are a handful of GM/GMO problems that were not predicted and caused
unintended consequences (BT corn pollinating feed corn and also affecting
Monarch butterfly larvae eating nearby milkweed plants dusted with the
falling pollen -- but NOT affecting, by the way, the animals that ate the
feed corn.). A cruise through the literature (not the same as a cruise
through the Web, by any means) shows an interesting history of the topic and
many blind alleys as well as fascinating turns of events that show
scientists finding, solving, and avoiding problems. Contrary to Smith's
claims, this is all "out there" and not hidden away through some huge
conspiracy of big-Ag companies.

Having skimmed (reading was too painful) Smith's fear-mongering invectives
("Seeds of Deceit" (a deliciously ironic name) & "Genetic Roulette") : I
came away with these conclusions that Smith has failed to grasp... over and
over and over):
* Anecdotes are not the same as scientific evidence.
* 100 anecdotes does not equal "better" anecdotes, and therefore still does
not equal scientific or even necessarily valid evidence.
* Correlation does not equal causation
* Just because you make money, it doesn't make you evil

Smith is either ignorant of proper and productive scientific research and
argument or is disingenuous with his readership. Either is problematic at
best and both are shameful for a writer who is swaying the minds of many
people through fear rather than verifiable evidence.

Skeptically yours,
Kirk (JanoMac)
(Resident biologist and scaremonger-hunter)

"".