[Homeroast] GMO Coffee

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:11:37 CDT 2010

"Some poor farmers in India have committed suicide over how it effected their livelihood."
WOW! I had not heard of this!

"Once more - the reason GMO crops are being developed is for the profit of big farming-business."

I agree with this statement completely (for the most part- some GMO research if for medicine and scientific research, but I think the overwhelming majority of motivation is bottom line.)

"It doesn't/won't solve hunger problems in this world - that's just a cover, IMHNSO."

Personally, I am a little more optimistic. I think that genetic modification does have the potential to aid in world hunger and malnutrition- but at what cost? Particularly, I have a hard time believing that 'more food' is the only solution. Your insight that world hunger is not due to a shortage of food but controlling of land seems very plausible to me. After all, how many mouths could we feed using the land on which a golf course has been built? (However, it is impossible to escape the fact that such considerations would also press other issues as well- such as should those golfers be obligated to give up their golfing land to feed the hungry, or since this is our land- are we entitled to build golf courses if we choose- despite the fact that people in the world are hungry. Seems to me that the ownership of land argument leads to a lot of very difficult philosophical considerations- not that they do not need to be discussed)
I also submit again, that part of our problem (in my not so humble opinion), is that we are very inefficient eaters. The energy and land requirements to raise cattle for food are much higher that growing produce. I am not suggesting we all become vegetarians (I think that would be great and would alleviate a lot more problems than just inefficient eating), but if we cut back a bit we could free up some of that grazing land.

"I am very concerned about the big picture - how this will effect all people of this earth."

IMO, this is the most fundamental flaw with our culture- there simply are not enough people with this big Picture mindset. Irrespective of particular issue, and criticising both all of any particular issue- a huge portion of the people that I argue with seem concerned with very short term issues, and less so with long term consequences. I am not suggesting that we should abandon short term thinking- not by any means. If a tiger is about to attack you and you need to decide how to respond- you really need to think short term! But proximate perspectives are very disproportionately represented in our considerations.

Well, I better stop. I decided when I signed up on this list that I would not get into politics as this is a coffee forum. If I continue any longer I might accidentally bring up my position that Global Warming is a huge problem that needs to be addressed and that the only real controversy regarding the existence of Glogal Warming is the political controversy.

--
Ryan M. Ward

http://www.ubuntu.com