[Homeroast] 20 Worst Drinks in America 2010

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Mon Jul 19 00:37:32 CDT 2010

So these were the worst from a nutritional standpoint.  I had thought taste might play a factor. So here are my worsts, on a taste-by-taste (sorry!) basis--at least they're the worst drinks I've ever tasted, regardless of nutrition:

7.  Ovaltine.  Sorry--a generation (mine) grew up on this stuff, but I have no idea why it was so popular.  It never mixed well with milk (little grainy clumps abounded) and even the "chocolate" version probably never saw a spoonful of real chocolate.  Okay, I guess, if you enjoy drinking the little crumbs left over in your milk from Honey Nut Cheerios.  I give it a "meh."

6.  Panera Bread Iced Green Tea.  Now, I really like green tea. I like it iced too--but unadulterated by sweetener or flavorings. Panera not only cloyingly (and calorically) sweetens theirs, but adds some sort of bizarre green apple or citrus flavor. The result tastes like apple juice mixed with lemonade mixed with iced tea allowed to go bad just this side of fermentation. Blecch.

5. Spruce Beer soda (mercifully, I forget the brand)--sold mostly in Quebec and the Maritimes.  A lovely pale green, it promises refreshment. What it delivers is eeeeuww:  though it has a fetching Christmasy evergreen scent, it tastes like retsina without the kick--but mixed with Scope mouthwash and a vial of sweetener (doesn't matter what kind, nothing can rescue this stuff).  For those who crave the taste of Pine-Sol but don't want to risk ingesting any of those pesky hydrocarbons.  I give it two Blecchs.

4. Atkins Protein Power Chocolate Shakes (Runner-up: Hood Carb--now "Calorie"--Control chocolate dairy drink). Good for you--low in saturated fat, free of trans fat, no sugar, low-carb.....and it sure tastes like it. Note to low-carb treat makers:  except for the rare decent-tasting brands of sugar-free dark chocolate bars (Ross, Asher's, etc.--and you might as well just go for 72-85% cacao real chocolate bars--one or two squares are intense enough to satisfy and the sugar content negligible--and without any artificial sweeteners or laxative sugar alcohols), forget about making anything chocolate.  It doesn't work. Without either real chocolate plus some form of sugar or sugar alcohol, there's no way it's gonna taste like chocolate. Maybe carob. Nah, not even carob.  It has that lovely je ne sais quoi (honestly, I literally DON'T know what and don't want to know) of the late, unlamented, canned Metrecal.  I will stop barfing long enough to give it three blecchs and raise it a "feh."

3.  Moxie.  I can't believe anyone actually drinks or drank this stuff, but it's beloved of New Englanders (especially Rhode Islanders).  Imagine aspartame-sweetened diet root beer left out in the hot sun for a year, with a teaspoon each of Fernet Branca (a "digestif" that scares your stomach into behaving itself) and Fletcher's Castoria stirred in. Tastes like burning tires smell.  And that's the regular sugar-sweetened version.  As for Diet Moxie, I will leave that up to your imagination--definitely not up to your tastebuds.  Four blecchs, two fehs and a shudder.

2. Beverly.  One of Italy's top non-alcoholic aperitifs, it is bottled and sold by the Coca-Cola company. Fortunately, the only place in America where you will encounter it is the tasting room at the World of Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta.  At the end of the tour, everyone winds up in this huge hall, where they are given a tall cup of ice and instructed to place it on a platform corresponding to the various permutations of Coca-Cola (regular, diet, no-caffeine, etc.). Said soda arcs across the room landing precisely in the cup, with unlimited free refills till you bounce off the walls or go into diabetic coma.  But off in the corner is a relatively small cube-shaped machine with a couple of dozen "international" Coke-distributed soft drinks, most of them exotic fruit flavors unavailable Stateside. You are given a small (5-oz) paper cup without ice and discouraged from taking refills of each product.  What is the most popular of these flavors--i.e., the one they run out of most often? Yup--Beverly. Its high demand at the World of Coca-Cola stems from one particular scenario, repeated hundreds of times a day: patron takes a swig, grimaces (sometimes audibly) and yells, "Hey, Ma (or Bubba or insert-friend's-name-here), you're not gonna believe this--here, taste it!"  It makes Diet Moxie taste like Dr. Pepper by comparison.  Five blecchs, two fehs, and a wince.

1. Seattle Sutton Fruit Breakfast Smoothie.  I used to be on the Seattle Sutton Diet because I liked the fact that everything was fresh with no artificial anything.  Unfortunately, the only seasoning they seemed to use was black pepper; and the entrees were an unrelenting parade of white meat poultry, canned tuna, pasta, and really boring bland domestic cheeses (or "cheese food"). No beef, pork, lamb, veal, liver, game or shellfish--but inexplicably, ONE fresh fish entree every six weeks (and that was usually some bland lean unspecified white fish). Almost every day included one or two fresh fruits--provided seriously underripe so that they would theoretically ripen by the time they were to be eaten (if not, you were instructed to nuke them, which resulted in warm mushy unripe fruit).  You provided your own two glasses of skim milk per day, plus all the plain lettuce you could eat.  Breakfasts were mostly tolerable: a mini-omelet here, a lilliputian whole-wheat waffle there, half of an adorable little toasted bagel with fruity margarine spread, etc.  But the one I dreaded included the Fruit Smoothie:  a luridly pink and unexpectedly thin concoction served in a (mercifully) small 4-oz. cup.  It smelled like flavored baby aspirin and bad berry hard candies, and tasted mostly of chalk, simple syrup and unripe raspberries and bananas, with the lovely texture of Kaopectate.  I always wondered why they didn't just substitute Pepto-Bismol, which has the same taste and texture plus some therapeutic value.  I would pour this swill down the drain and substitute 1/2 c. vanilla soymilk and a handful of whatever fresh berries I could find--and NOT blending them together.  Five blecchs, two fehs, a wince, a shudder and a barf.

BUT here are the three most delicious nonalcoholic drinks I've ever tasted:

3.  "Wishful Drinking" cocktail, served at the bar of NY's Studio 54 theatre during the run of the one-woman Carrie Fisher show of the same name.  Consists of pear puree muddled together with passionfruit syrup, a mint leaf, and cinnamon; ice and ginger ale are added. Tastes better and more complex than it sounds.

2. True NYC chocolate "egg cream." A seeming oxymoron, since it contains neither eggs nor cream--but the 19th century original did, owing to a soda fountain owner's discovery that by reversing the flow on the soda spigot, he could produce a high-velocity stream that caused milk to froth like whipped egg white (or today's coarse stiff cappuccino foam served by chain coffee bars using superautos).  It also roiled the surface enough that cream could be eliminated in favor of whole milk, thus saving even more money.  Unless you make it yourself at home with Hershey's Syrup (Fox's U-Bet is more authentic but only Hershey's tastes like the old U-Bet used to), a freshly opened can or bottle of seltzer (real sealed glass "spritz" seltzer bottles have passed into history and the refillable ones that use CO2 cartridges make too weak carbonation), best to go to NYC (preferably Brooklyn) and seek out the "candy stores" that combine newsstand and soda fountain.  A well-made egg cream will look like a mocha latte--too many hash-house coffeeshop diners use flat seltzer, generic syrup, 2% milk and lousy technique.  Some delis outside Chicago, L.A., and Miami do a better job.   One sip will transport you to a childhood memory of the sound of the spoon's tap-tap-tap against the glass (classic Coca-Cola shape, natch) as it is stirred, the smells of pink Spaldeen rubber balls, school supplies, comic books and the old NY Post, with the sound of the elevated subway rumbling overhead----even if it's someone else's memory.  (In case you're curious, yes, I was born & raised in Brooklyn and I make a helluva good egg cream--a skill baristas might learn to cultivate).  This had been my favorite nonalcoholic drink until I tasted the winner last month.

1.  "Virgin Bee Sting," as served by George's California Modern in La Jolla, CA.  Club soda, an entire mashed (but skin intact) kumquat, crushed/bruised lemongrass stalk as a stirrer, a dollop of really good light-hued honey, and freshly grated ginger all stirred together as club soda and ice are added.  There is an alcoholic version, but this tastes so good I can't imagine what vodka would bring to the party (other than a buzz that might interfere with the ability to savor the intense yet distinct flavors.  Tough to find fresh kumquats in Chicago right now, so I'm going to approximate the taste with a tiny dollop of Major Grey's Chutney and a few mandarin orange sections, said lemongrass, and Jamaican ginger beer (and a bit more honey--orange blossom or Tupelo) .