[Homeroast] GMO Coffee

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 13:27:18 CDT 2010

There isn't much we eat that doesn't contain some amount of a GMO
plant crop in it. Personally I have grave concerns with GMO crops.  My
cuppa Tom and an occasional splash of milk (from a local dairy that is
grass fed and is able to go non-GMO corn in his area without cross
pollination) is one of my decreasing havens of enjoying something
good. I had not thought much about GMO coffee until I googled it last
night. I guess there are already several to accomplish different
purposes. Saw one that makes the coffee more soluble and of course
some with toxins to deal with various pests. I assume there are many
others to deal with weather conditions, production yields, uniformity
etc. etc. Since these are all patented and can cross pollinate, small
farmers using the varietals we enjoy and doing traditional on farm
selective breeding could lose that ability!  Same as has happened in
this country with those trying to grow traditional varietals and seed
save in areas where GMO crops are also grown. I saw that Hawaii has
tried to keep GMO coffee away for a number of years now but not sure
if that's still the case? From now on when I'm asked about one of my
coffees I will add that the beans are non-gmo

--
Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.