[Homeroast] Roast goes stale fast

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 21:50:00 CDT 2010

"... Plastic stored beans are definitely deteriorating --I am smelling the
faint hint of harshness that I associate with stale beans."

I Really can't imagine why this happens, unless you are storing the
(Yogurt?) containers inverted. The seal might not be hermetic, nevertheless
any internal pressure would tend to unseat the lid.  Inverted, the first gas
to exit would be the dense CO2.  It's not coming back- Here comes the O2
instead if you pour the beans out

On the bottom of the plastic container is a triangle with an inscribed
number. Try using a container with a different number. Is it a 6 or a 9 ?
The correct orientation is: Flat side down, with vertex up.

If you must use plastic, try an empty pill bottle from the pharmacy with a
different number on the bottom. Or switch now to glass Mason jars and avoid
all the hassle...

Cheers -RayO, aka Opa!

Got Grinder?