[Homeroast] Is Decaf just staticy?

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Thu Jul 8 11:20:44 CDT 2010

>From a culinary point of view, oil is not considered to be moisture.  Deep
frying is a dry form of cooking.
I have seen decaf beans get oily, in fact they seem to get there sooner than
regular beans.  I don't know about whether different decaffeinating methods
remove different components from the beans, but that does seem probable.
There is a good write-up  on methods of decaffeination on the SM site.  I
can't remember all of it, but I know that the chemical used in
decaffeinating is volatile at much lower temperatures than are used in
roasting  so even if there were any remaining on the beans (which is highly
unlikely) they would burn off in the roast process.  I also remember that
the newer water process is different from the Swiss water process but I
don't remember what the difference is.  I have roasted all three types of
beans and each has its own preferred profile. The chemical processed does
not take heat as well as the WP and a more gentle profile must be used.

Mike Chester