[Homeroast] Is Decaf just staticy?

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 8 10:57:45 CDT 2010

"Over 150°F, 200°, 250, 300, 350, 400°, 450° F roasting temperatures,
would you really expect to find many water molecules hanging
back in the coffee bean matrix?"

Your reasoning seems plausible to me, but I suppose moisture may have been an inaccurate term. I was thinking about water content true, but was also thinking thinking about oil content of the beans. Roast beans, the water may evaporate(I am not sure if I believe all of it does in a non-super dark roast but for the sake of argument, lets suppose it does), but the oil does not(at least not all of it). Don't believe me? Take a look in the hopper of the espresso machine at a Starbucks- bleeding beans. I have never seen oil on the surface of dark roasted decaf, only on the surface of dark roasted regular coffee. At least not nearly as much on the decaf(chemically treated decaf). Now, the reason I wonder about Swiss water treatment vs. chemical treatment is I wonder if one process removes coffee oils (or a larger amount), and the other does not (I speculate that Swiss water may remove less- again, I have never looked at dark roasted Swiss water treated beans).

P.S. I am not an engineer, to the engineers on this list, do you usually consider oil in the term moisture or does it just refer to water (or other less viscous fluids)? To be honest, I have never thought about this- but now I am kind of curious.

If you dip a sponge in olive oil, can you call it moist?
--
Ryan M. Ward

http://www.ubuntu.com