[Homeroast] Is Decaf just staticy?

Michael espressoperson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 08:28:54 CDT 2010

I'm with you on staticky decaf and static-free regular grinds with the
vario grinder (and other grinders too). I have not found a way to
avoid static but have a few tricks to make dealing with the results
more tolerable.

1. Most times I use the vario grinds container with the portafilter
fork. I made a sawed off funnel* to capture the grinds and keep them
from running away. The bottom of the funnel is just a bit narrower
than the top of the portafilter basket so it balances nicely on the
edges of the basket leaving the center of the basket wide open. The
top of the funnel is wide enough to catch most of the errant grinds
but narrow enough to fit under the vario grinds exit chute comfortably.

2. Sometimes I use the vario enclosed grinds container, grind into it,
shake gently, then pour grinds into the funnel-topped basket for
tapping down gently, then lifting the funnel, distributing the grinds
evenly, and then tamping. My decaf doses are typically larger than
regular coffee doses so this method is useful to contain all the
grinds in the basket even under static-free conditions.

3. The grinder sits on top of a stainless steel drawer with the
knockbox inside the drawer. So when I grind, the spilled grinds are
confined to the top of the drawer platform and can be easily swept
into the knockbox in the open drawer. It is so convenient for
cleaning, and also raises the grinder closer to eye level. These
stainless drawers are a bit pricey but IMO worth the money. And they
look good too.

* I have a 49 mm basket so the sawed off yogurt baskets most people
use for the purpose don't work for me. If you have the typical 58mm
baskets you will have an easier time making a suitable funnel.

On Jul 8, 2010, at 1:11 AM, michael kaericher wrote:

> The Ethiopia is water processed.  The SM notes say that it is not
> Swiss Water.  Donkey is a blend, so I couldn't say how it is
> decaffeinated.
>
> I couldn't comment on how processing might affect static, if it does
> at all.  I don't even know why I am seeing a difference.
>
> -Mike K

michaelb
espressoperson at gmail.com