[Homeroast] Color match x Pantone

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 03:16:20 CDT 2010

" Dark browns are very hard to reproduce correctly."

Maybe with the digital state of the art, it's difficult, but I saw some
excellent, dense brown gradation proofs from an analog laser scanner- that I
repaired, not operated, on Kapiolani Blvd in a western city. They also had a
Brobdingnagian LogE Apollo process camera that nobody else seemed to be able
to size and focus. (My dummy load for the scanner's 20v, 50A power supply
was a full spool of 12 Ga THHN solid wire.)

Densitometers make "very hard to reproduce" very easy to reproduce. In fact,
one of the Big Box stores uses a form of densitometer, with which they can
read your color sample and supply paint that will dry to exactly match the
sample color. Maybe they would read your bean sample then have you choose
from several scans. Roasted beans are not monochromatic...

Then your roasting would depend greatly on the color temperature of the
ambient light. The northern sky is about 7500K, many jewelers use that kind
of light. I picked up a slew of 8000K ultra high intensity LED's on eBay,
and Office Depot sells some small 9 LED flashlights for cheap. Blindingly
bright, and the color temperature is high

LED's won't dull or age like incandescent lamps or fluorescent lamps.

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!

Could always pick up a Cosar SOS-40 or MacBeth densitometer on eBay- boat
anchors but all good!

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee <
sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com> wrote:

> What we had done a long time back with help from , jeez, I can't remember
> who did it, was match the SCAA roast color discs to paint swatch cards
> available at Home Depot. The idea is people could go to a nearby Home Depot
> and get the same set of color cards (and of course, buy something, because
> it's only fair). I could try to find out the results from that work, if
> anyone is interested.
>
> We really want to produce a printed series of cards with roast images,
> something you can hold by your roaster and reference. Going from digital
> image to offset print has been the issue. Dark browns are very hard to
> reproduce correctly. We are going to do this again, soon, by doing extensive
> proofs to make sure we get the prints right.
>
> Tom
>

>  I know, I know, this topic is an old friend from our SM list, but maybe a
>> new approach.
>>
>> I ordered few days ago some coffees, and asked Maria if she could send the
>> Color Roast Post Card. Maria told me that they decide to 'phase out ' the
>> card because the issues with the reproducibility (aging) of the card, and
>> they are investigating reliable alternatives to the old post cards.
>>
>> I have access to same Pantone books (Color Classification System) , and
>> wondering how to find a proper way to match City, City +, Full City, to
>> their equivalent Pantone Numbers.
>>
>> The closest that I got (So far), is:
>>
>> City + closer to 462 C or 1545 U (Coated Color)
>>
>> On the Pantone web page, we can find a 'screen representation of the
>> colors,
>> and their light and darker equivalents (Paint Interior Matching guide, use
>> the color 462 C on the Pantone Number box), unfortunately the 'screen
>> representation' is not accurate at all (the paper chips are much, much
>> better)
>>
>> One idea will be to order the specific 'chips page' with the  color that
>> we
>> want to match, I still need to match the other key Roasting colors, and
>> then
>> get the full equivalent list roasting nomenclature x Pantone Name x Agtron
>> #. (I just hope that when I have all these matches, they will be inside a
>> single Pantone chips page)
>>
>> Each 'chips page' from Pantone book cost (at the website) US$ 7.50, that
>> is
>> not that bad (ok, ok, I know 1 lb of coffee, that we will not drink!)
>>
>> Any experience from the list on this approach?
>>
>> Regards
>> Silas
>>
>> Contritionem praecedit superbia,
>> et ante ruinam exaltatio spiritus (Prov 16:18)
>>
>> http://silasmcoelho.com/
>>

> --
> -Tom

> Roasting
>              Thompson & Maria - http://www.sweetmarias.com

Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...