[Homeroast] Is Decaf just staticy?

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 01:28:52 CDT 2010

If there is something more to the enjoyment of the product of the bean than
the contents of the cup, I've been sitting in the rong damn pew.

While I've been trying to justify the devotion of expensive equipment and
much time to espresso and the less execrable shot, other devotees of the
well-known Seattle Enterprise have been pleasantly surprised by the straight
shots from my Crapesso and BUFF grinder, while the response from many social
coffee drinkers has been a wrinkled nose- "Oh, God- What is This?"

Elmer says, "You gotta wub some people the wong way" [or you're sitting in
the rong pew!]

My wordsmith found another form of sacrilidge: Sacrilege

" [image: Rush is Our Messiah--and this poll is
sacrilidge!!]<http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000457607/polls_OurLadyGoodCounselInt2_5419_303070_answer_2_small_xlarge.jpeg>
 Rush is Our Messiah--and this poll is sacrilidge!! "

Cheers, RayO, aka Opa!

Got Grinder?

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:05 PM, michael kaericher <mike_kae at yahoo.com>wrote:

> It may be sacrilidge, but I think that there are factors outside of cup
> quality which affect my life and even my enjoyment of coffee.  To that end,
> I would rather my coffee ground as neatly as possible so that I don't worry
> more than neccessary about cleanup (both work surface and grinder).
>
> I think that my Vario is up to the task.  I grind my wife's decaf Donkey
> blend and see the coffee stick to the machine and push away from itself.  I
> attribute this to static. Then a couple of minutes later, I grind my
> Espresso Profundo yeilding a nice fluffy pile.
>
> Regarding water:  I have, on occassion, put a pan of water on the bottom
> shelf of my 400 degree oven.  Depending on how much water is in the pan, 10
> minutes later some may still be there.   Furthermore, if one drop were left
> in the pan one day, and two drops left another day, I would have a 100%
> difference in water volume.
> That said, I have no idea if there is a difference in water content in the
> bean after roasting.  I have no idea if a difference in water content causes
> static.  I do know that I see a difference in the amount of static using the
> same grinder minutes apart.  I cannot yet attribute that to the decaf bean
> or some difference in roasting.
>
> -Mike K

Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...