[Homeroast] Is Decaf just staticy?

michael kaericher mike_kae at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 00:05:32 CDT 2010

It may be sacrilidge, but I think that there are factors outside of cup quality which affect my life and even my enjoyment of coffee.  To that end, I would rather my coffee ground as neatly as possible so that I don't worry more than neccessary about cleanup (both work surface and grinder).

I think that my Vario is up to the task.  I grind my wife's decaf Donkey blend and see the coffee stick to the machine and push away from itself.  I attribute this to static. Then a couple of minutes later, I grind my Espresso Profundo yeilding a nice fluffy pile.

Regarding water:  I have, on occassion, put a pan of water on the bottom shelf of my 400 degree oven.  Depending on how much water is in the pan, 10 minutes later some may still be there.   Furthermore, if one drop were left in the pan one day, and two drops left another day, I would have a 100% difference in water volume.
That said, I have no idea if there is a difference in water content in the bean after roasting.  I have no idea if a difference in water content causes static.  I do know that I see a difference in the amount of static using the same grinder minutes apart.  I cannot yet attribute that to the decaf bean or some difference in roasting.

-Mike K