[Homeroast] Roast goes stale fast

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 09:06:47 CDT 2010

There might be a couple things possible on the roasting end. If too
much moisture is retained I could see a faster deterioration possible.
I don't have much experience with a Behmor and P3 and manipulations
during 1st crack to know if this might be a factor. Also roasting with
too high a temp. can draw oils that bond with much of the
flavors/aroma to the surface and be more vulnerable to early oxygen
contact but in your situation this doesn't seem to be the case. A fast
and powerful 1st.and/or 2nd crack can cause the bean to over
expand/fracture and also cause faster oxidation.

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:25 PM, michael kaericher <mike_kae at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does it suggest that I am doing something wrong if my roasts go stale in ~10 days?
>
> I've been roasting almost exclusively for espresso for about a year now.  I started with SM blends, but now I attemp post roast blending SO beans (usually Brazils, Ethiopia, and something else Sulawesi-Java-Rwanda).  Not really sure why since I am still not able to come up with blends that I like any better than the SM pre-roast blends (which are also far more convenient to roast).
>
> I find that most of my roasts are best at about 4-7 days and are definitely stale by 10.  In contrast, I typically hear that espresso roasts hit their stride at 7 days.  So I figure that there has to be something wrong with how I am doing things.
>
> Roast process:
> I've been roasting in a Behmor for the last year.  My roasts are almost all 6-8 oz with the Behmor set to P3 at -1lb-A.  Sometime after the roast starts, I add lots of time.   I let it run up to 1c and then turn on my venting fan and open the Behmor door a crack for 2-3 seconds of every 15 to draw out the run to 2c (this usually gets me about 4 minutes). At the first pop of 2c, I hit cool.  After cooling I store the roasted coffee in a 1 quart yogurt container, where it sits for about 4 days before I start using it.

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/