[Homeroast] Noise canceling headphones

Michael Wascher wascher at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 10:39:42 CDT 2010

Noise canceling headsets find & remove statistically stationary noise --
that is constant energy content within a frequency band over a time period
is removed. I use them when working in a lab filled with electrical
equipment. The constant drone of fans, transformer hum, etc is suppressed
but conversation, but the annoying beeps of the malfunctioning UPS are not.

I would think that isolated pops, such as at the beginning & end of first
crack would likely be heard. However, crackles at a constant rate (within
the sample period of the algorithm), such as at the height of second, may be
suppressed. They only way to be sure is to try, algorithms/parameters used
by different headsets will vary.

--MikeW

"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."
--Mark Twain