[Homeroast] Iced Coffee recipes

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:01:13 CDT 2010

Hey Michael,
I would advise that you consider cold brewing your coffee. Cold brewing produces a very different flavor profile than hot brewing and then chilling. You end up with less acidity, and a very distinctive flavor tone that I cannot describe well.
Personally, I like sulawesi beans for this, I stay away from citrusy or acidic varieties. Sulawesi is my personal preference, and I roast it to a little before second crack. (City-)
I then grind to about a french press grind. (I usually do about a cup to a cup and a half of grounds to about 3 or 4 cups of water(I am very "artistic" about this). This water should be room temperature. Make sure all grounds get wet (I stir a little, some advise against it for some reason that I am not aware of)
Let it brew at room temperature for 12 to 16 hours, then filter, strain, etc...
This will produce a concentrate. Add one part concentrate, one part water or milk (I do milk, kand honestly I use more concentrate- more like 2:1) .

As I said, its my favorite way to prepare coffee now(actually I didn't say that before...). I would you look up a recipie online as I am estimating volumes from memory, I never actually measure anything, I eyeball it. (Play it artsy)