[Homeroast] Roast goes stale fast

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 01:39:51 CDT 2010

"...has anyone tried those beanvac canisters?"

No, but that's only half of the story-

My daughter used to manage a Sharper Image store and brought home one of the
Bean Vac things.  As I remember, it would power up the vacuum pump on the
batteries to maintain the vacuum, as if  Vacuum were the Utopian storage
medium.

As CO2 gas evolved from the fresh-roasted beans, the internal pressure would
rise, signaling an apparent vacuum leak. It would tun on the pump and
exhaust the CO2 gas developing in-situ.

The problem would be releasing the vacuum, opening the lid and pouring out
the beans and remaining CO2.

[Release vacuum = allow air + pure O2 to enter;
Pour out beans = pour out CO2 gas too, Here come the air and pure O2, just
like Open House Day at a Tijuana Cat House...]

If you keep roasted beans in a vacuum, you force O2 in every time you open
the container, whether you want to or not.

The only thing worse would be to grind the coffee and try to store it
"Vacuum packed" like Foulgers. Ever notice there's never a vacuum in those
cans? The CO2 has evolved and developed pressure. That only works because
most people scoop the grounds rather than pouring them and the CO2 out...

If you have a flour mill or a big Mazzer grinder, you have probably noticed
the fabulous difference in bread fresh baked using a dough ball made with
flour ground long ago in a place far away, vs fresh-ground wheat/ oats. Nuff
said.

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!

Got Grinder?