[Homeroast] Off-list Question: Restaurants on the Ave

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Sun Jan 31 22:54:44 CST 2010

It was called (aptly enough) "The Frankfurter" (not to be confused with the geeky guy who sold hot dogs in the stands during home games at Husky Stadium). I think (except for Matzo Mamma in Montlake) it may have been the only place to get a kosher dog with natural casing.  The kielbasa WAS awesome, wasn't it? I think, though, that it was north of NE 42 and may even have been up north of the bookstore bet. 45tth & 47th near Bartell's and Nordstrom.  (On some days they had venison dogs--never tasted one again till years later at some stand just n. of Milwaukee on I-94).

Come to Chicago on a Thurs, Fri or Sat and we'll go to Hot Doug's in Ravenswood Manor for a venison dog with duck fat fries.......and then I'll pull you an Espresso Allegro (from Dave Olsen's recipe).