[Homeroast] Dry Ethiopes

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Sat Jan 30 11:11:58 CST 2010

I have had a couple of classes in wine tasting, including both consumer
level and pro level.  In these classes the instructors tried an experiment
where one time we were told the prices of the wines before tasting and
evaluating and another time after the evaluation.  As you may have guessed,
when we knew the prices in advance, the higher priced wines were rated
higher, but when we did not know the prices, the evaluations were all over
the place with little correlation between score and price.  To be fair, all
of the samples were in the $15-50 range.  We did not compare a $5 bottle to
a $100 bottle just like you would not compare Maxwell Sludge to fine home
roast.

Mike Chester