[Homeroast] Query

Michael Irrera mirrera at me.com
Sat Jan 30 09:52:27 CST 2010

I think Green Mtn makes some reasonably good coffee.  Though the brand
isn't seen as "premium" as much as it was to start, it still has some
good connotations, despite being sold in grocery, 7-11, and Mickey D's.

I was at their roasting facility a couple of weeks ago (though not
inside), and it's a company very well thought of in that part of VT.
At their visitor center/cafe they have some nice exhibits on coffee,
from farm to finished product. There is material on roast levels
(encouraging people not to buy burnt coffee), and various origins and
their flavors.  I picked up some Guatamala and Kenya beans, and both
were C+ to FC and fresh.

They were one of the best performing stocks of the 00's, driven
largely by acqusition. Now, with the virtual monopoly on single serve
(they own Keurig), and the recent Diedrich acquisition, they're poised
for more growth. And of course the McDonald's business has been good
to them. They have diverse distribution channels, and are leaders in a
few of them (though most of the profit and growth is in the Keurig
business).

I'd be interested to hear Tom's take on their buying/sourcing, but I
think as far as producing a quality product, and especially being a
good corporate citizen, they're doing a pretty good job.

-AdkMike