[Homeroast] clever coffee dripper

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Fri Jan 29 15:30:38 CST 2010

saw a reference to the CCD here, and wanted to tell all that I have
been doing a lot of brew tests lately to check taste and extraction
from various types, including the new Hario V60 (results not that
great). actually the traditional poreclain drip cone with one drain
hole was a great performer.

Now the CCD really isnt a typical dripper. With a real dripper,
technique matters a lot  - you can't just dump a lot of hot water in
a normal dripper and get great results.

But we had some issues with the CCD and grind. We were
under-extracting with a coarse grind. We hit the correct extraction
and best cup results with the following recipe:

-fine grind, on the fine end of filter-drip grind, but not espresso
grind for sure.
-20 grams coffee
-350 grams hot water
-4 minute steep until drain, 5:30 until last water drains out of coffee
-cover immediately with a plate
-lift plate and stir at 1:00, around 3:00 and 4:00.
-as mentioned, start draining at 4:00

we separated the brew - the first half to drain measures 1.22 to
1.25%, a bit strong.
The second half measures 1.19%. The blend of the 2 was better than
either alone.

--
-Tom