[Homeroast] Water retained in the portafilter **Followup**

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:03:31 CST 2010

Michael B,

Great news on the espresso.  What did you pull and how did it taste?

My pulls of Liquid Amber this weekend were great, but I stalled out my Vac
Pot both times I tried to brew a pot of Yemen / Sulawesi blend that I'd
roasted.  Oh well.

As for the tamper, I was using a 49 mm tamper for a while after I changed to
a 53 mm basket (fit the machine better without getting stuck on the gasket)
and it was no problem.  You can use a NSEW or Staub tamp technique where you
push down on the North, South, East, then West corner of the basket after
the main tamp in the center.  This page talks about tamping,
http://coffeegeek.com/opinions/coffeeatthemoment/10-08-2006, but I'm of the
opinion that the grind, dose, distribution and leveling are more critical
then the tamp, and especially with my lever machine.

-Chris