[Homeroast] Water retained in the portafilter

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Sun Jan 24 22:22:18 CST 2010

I never de-pressurized the PFs in my Estro or Saeco machines; rather, I purchased an actual non-pressurized PF and basket (designed from the ground up not to be pressurized) from Saeco. Never a good thing to monkey with something that was designed with pressurization in mind. I think you are also getting the dreaded "portafilter sneeze" characteristic of machines that lack the 3-way solenoid valve.  WAIT at least 10 sec. after your shot stops before removing the PF, and remove it slowly at that.